There will be a drop in on the 29th 10-3. For location please see Saturday drop in.
You are currently browsing the archive for the Quilting category.
We had our last meeting before summer. A surprise package was handed out to each member. In the package was little kit of English paper piecing. This was an introduction to this technique which is being used in the Summer Challenge 2015. Summer challenge Have fun doing this technique and bring your completed item to the Oct 2, 2015 meeting.
Have a great summer and see you at the Sept 4 meeting.
Reminder that we will not be having a meeting in May. Tonight’s meeting is going to be our May meeting.
- Bus Trip May 2 – may consider doing something similar next year.
- June wrap up will have a summer challenge to be completed by Oct.
- We had Lorna Shapiro visiting us and showing many of her beautiful quilts. Reminder her workshop is May 16-17. Information about the workshop is found under Program/Workshop .
- 2015-16 Program highlights
- Marven Ecker from Vernon will be coming Oct 3 for a workshop – Xmas ornament wall hanging.
- Wanda Mowry from Maple Ridge – scrape buster workshop
- 40 people attended all had fun. Next year a new location Rosemary Heights in Surrey Apr 22-24, 2016 $250 approx. Friday 10 am thru to 4 pm Sun
- Aug 21-23, need cheques ASAP by May 21
Quilt Show 2016
- 1st meeting held. Trying to get Maple Creek School again. Need name suggestions for show. Another publicity person is needed. Raffle quilt ready to be quilted- need suggestions on who should receive quilt by Oct meeting. Boutique -need items to sale.
- This years quilt was given to Eagle Ridge Hospital Foundation.
- more blocks are needed for this years quilt.
- all positions have been filled.
I was late for the meeting so several items will be missing. Can report the following:
- There is still room on the 2nd bus for the bus trip to Sunshine Coast Quilt Show – May 2 2015 cost is $65.
- Still many spaces for Lorna Shapiro workshop May 16, 17 2015 Cost $75, More info under Program/Workshop.
- Spring Retreat is full actually overfull. Packages for the retreat will be delivered via email. Friday event potluck please bring serving implements. Dinner will be at 6:00 pm. Don’t forget to bring extension cords.
- Summer Retreat Aug 21-23. Require commitments from min of 30 people or will have to cancel. Deadline is May 21. Cost is 190.
- Quilt Show 2016 – First organization meeting will be Apr. 1 7:00 pm at Quilted Treasure.
- More blocks are needed for this year’s community quilts. Block info found under Donations
- Next meeting will be Apr 24.
- Reminder there will be no meeting in May.
Social media was a topic that was discussed at the last board meeting. It was decided that a meeting between the social media people was a good idea. At the social media meeting it was decided that the website needed some changes. We now have a Facebook account that is open to the public. Don’t need to have an individual account to view our Facebook account. No posting only comments allowed. We now have a Flicker account but access is only by invitation to only guild members. Fraser Valley Quilt Show June 12 & 13 and are going to have and Ironman quilt event again. 4 person team. Do we want to put a couple of teams in this year?
Mar 27 meeting Talk with Bonnie Hwang & Mary Pona
Apr 24 Lorna Shapiro ( Workshop has been moved to May 16-17)
May 2 Bus Trip to Sunshine Coast Quilt Show.
May 16-17 Lorna Shapiro work shop – There is still room available.
Presentation will be next meeting. Pattern instructions of new quilt will be posted under Donations page.
Spring & Summer Retreat
Spring retreat full – 42 people attending
Summer retreat – Aug 21-23 at Camp Luther. Cost is $190. Min of 30 people needed by May 21.
Old – we made a net profit of $4715.10.
New – The 2016 organizing committee already starting to work on the quilt show. Asking for suggestions for show name.
Members made 64 postcard. Members are already starting receiving postcards from Cranbrook quild.
Cranbrook Quilt show is May 8 & 9
Don’t forget that our next meeting will be Mar 27. April meeting is Apr 24. No meeting in May.
Blue Mountain Quilters Guild Annual General Meeting. The President, Vice-President and Treasurer positions were re-elected by acclamation. Membership fees will remain at $35 for the 2015/16 guild year.
Last night was our annual Valentine’s Tea. A challenge is issued to members to submit preemie quilts with prizes awarded by random draw. 75 preemie quilts were submitted. These will be going to the NICU at Royal Columbian Hospital.
It was a great meeting last night. Anne and Wendy presented $1000 cheques to representatives from Coquitlam Search and Rescue and Aunt Leah’s Place. This was money earned from the quilt that was raffled at our quilt show in October.
New Community quilt is the Hot chocolate pattern but it will be done in blues.
Quilt retreats are great opportunities to work on that endless number of UFO's we all find piling up around our sewing rooms. April 17-19th join us at Camp Squeah for the 2015 Weaving Friendship retreat, where Quilting with a friend will keep you in stitches! Check out the Woven Quilt block we will be doing as our retreat block- http://sewhappygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Woven-Quilt-Block-Tutorial-4.jpg Retreat packages will be available at the February 6th meeting. (payment in full required) Arrive Friday afternoon and spend the weekend with us. Join us for a Potluck dinner Friday night- email with details will be sent to registered participants. Cost: In the Camp Squeah Lodge - $165.00 Emory Lodge- $175.00 (FULL)
We had a Cowgirl Christmas meeting with a potluck. There was variety of different dishes and desserts and it was all delicious.
Highlights of the meeting:
-There is still room in the Spring Retreat
– More reports still to come on the Quilt Show. Once all in committee will report.
-Nominating Committee is starting to look for candidates for 2015 executive.
-Royal Columbia NIC unit is extremely appreciative for all the preemie quilts that the quild donates.
– Decision on who will get the community quilt will be made at the January meeting. Heather will be sending out an email to the membership with information on the candidates.
-Upcoming 2015 programs:
-January members participation – bring your first quilt and tell us a little info about it.
-February AGM; Valentine Tea/Social – coffee, tea & dessert; Preemie contest- theme is quilts for boys. Random draw
– March Terry Aske – famous local modern quilt artist. Workshop Mar 7 – Maple Leaf – freezer paper piecing. Cost $50 (includes lunch, coffee, tea and snacks. Max. # 15. If interested please contact Renelle at Renelle@shaw.ca
Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. See you all in 2015!!!!